New

Uninhabited Irish Island Complete with Ancient Ruins Is Up for Sale

Uninhabited Irish Island Complete with Ancient Ruins Is Up for Sale


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

The West Coast of Ireland has some of the finest scenery in the British Isles and indeed Western Europe. Its many islands such as Achill are renowned for their wild beauty. If you have ever dreamed of owning one, you are in luck! A property website in Ireland has just listed a remote and historic County Galway island, complete with ancient ruins, for sale.

High Island has been listed for sale at €1.25 million (US $1.4 million). According to the Irish Times , the island is known as Ardoileán in Irish. It is about 80 acres in extent and is located about 2 miles (3 km) off the Galway coast. There are two natural lakes on the island, and it is at present uninhabited with two dilapidated modern buildings.

High Island is up for sale. Credit: Myhome.ie

A Rich History

The island was not always uninhabited. It is believed to have been settled by people in the early Iron Age, with some of the ruins and artifacts dating back to 300 BC and evidence from pollen samples suggesting occupation from 1000 BC.

Evidence suggests that High Island was populated by Celtic people . Early Medieval Christian monks seeking solitude as part of their quest to be nearer to God built a small hermitage here. This was quite common in the early medieval era, when many Irish monks established similar retreats on remote islands, for example on Skellig Michael , which was featured in a recent Star Wars movie.

The MyHome website reports that the monastery is believed to have been founded by St Féchín of Fore in the 7 th century AD. The site of the hermitage was selected because it offered some shelter from the many Atlantic storms. St Féchín is believed to have died during an epidemic on the island. The original hermitage eventually became a large monastery and even had one of the first known monastic water mills in Ireland.

  • The Remote Irish Monastery Where Medieval Christianity Meets Fictional Jedi Spiritualism
  • Viking beaters: Scots and Irish may have settled Iceland a century before Norsemen
  • Revealing the Recluse: The Sad and Secret Lives of Hermits

The monastery ruins on High Island at the edge of a lake. Credit: Myhome.ie

Curse Stone

The monastery was abandoned possibly as a result of Viking raids or a decline in the popularity of monasticism. There are extensive remains of the monastery to be seen and these include a perfectly preserved beehive stone hut. These distinctive huts were where monks lived and prayed and where they lived as hermits. There are also some collapsed beehive huts, a ruined church, an oratory and a complete stone enclosure in the area which is ‘maintained by the Irish Office of Public Works’’, according to Irish Central .

One of the most interesting monuments on the island is a large almost spherical boulder that has been rounded and smoothed by tools. The stone may have been used as a ‘cursing stone’, that is, it was used in ceremonies that cursed some enemy or foe. Similar stones have been found on other islands in Ireland and Scotland and they may have been used in pagan Celtic religious practices, which were continued by Christians.

In the 1700s, there was a mine on High Island and some of the stone shelters of the miners can still be seen. Interestingly, unlike other islands off the west coast of Ireland, it was not settled by people fleeing famines on the mainland in the 18 th and 19 th century. In recent years, the site of the monastery has been intensively excavated by Irish archaeologists.

High Island, Ireland. Credit: Myhome.ie

Abandoned Island

The island has some stunning scenery and it offers remarkable views of the open Atlantic sea. However, in winter it is regularly buffeted by storms and gales. It was owned for over two decades by the well-known Anglo-Irish poet Richard Murphy (1927-2018), and many artists visited seeking inspiration from its stunning scenery.

The island has been deserted for many years allowing birdlife to flourish. MyHome reports that “there is an abundance of birdlife on the island with many types of gulls, fulmars, Manx shearwaters, petrels, and oystercatchers’’ on the isle. The local birdlife is protected by an EU special directive, especially its rare Arctic Tern.

Historians are hoping that the Irish government will buy the island in order to preserve the island’s history and its unique wildlife. One possibility is to restore the monastery and beehive huts and turn it into a tourist destination. If a private buyer does buy it, they will not become the owner of its historic sites as they belong to the Irish people.


Deserted Irish Island Inhabited by Medieval Monks is Up For Sale

A remote island off the west coast of Ireland that was once inhabited by medieval monks is up for sale, according to The Guardian. The uninhabited High Island, located two miles off the Galway coast, is listed for sale at €1.25 million, and is known for its 18th century mine and the remains of a medieval monastery founded in the 7th century.

Medieval Irish monks were notorious for seeking out remote, exposed and wild spots in which to establish their monasteries.

Skellig Michael, UNESCO World Heritage Site, Kerry, Ireland. Scenes for Star Wars: The Force Awakens were filmed on this island.

Indeed, early medieval monasteries can be found in some of Ireland’s most isolated and weather-beaten parts of the country, particularly on remote islands off the country’s Atlantic coast.

One of the most famous of these islands is Skellig Michael, made famous as the home of Luke Skywalker in the 2017 movie Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The early medieval monks that landed on Skellig Michael built distinctive ‘beehive’-style, dry stone huts known as chlocháns.

Skellig Michael Monastery, Ireland

High Island, 200 miles north off the coast of Connemara, might not have the dramatic craggy appearance of the Skellig but is nevertheless a beautiful natural site.

Known as Ardoileán in Irish, it rises approximately 200 feet above sea level and contains two small freshwater lakes. The total size of the island is around 80 acres, corresponding to approximately 60 football fields, according to The Guardian.

The steep cliffs and gullies that surround the island also provide ample breeding space for a wide variety of bird life, including many species of gulls, barnacle geese, oystercatchers and Arctic terns. Ornithologists are also attracted to the island for the opportunity to spot Manx shearwaters, petrels and even peregrine falcons.

Human settlement on the island is evidenced from the Iron Age, and archaeological findings point to human activity possibly stretching as far back as 1000 BC. However, the principal settlement on the island came in the 7th century, when Saint Féchín of Fore (d. 665) brought a group of men to the island and established a religious community.

Photo by Nilfanion CC BY SA 3.0

St. Féchín was typical of many other Irish holy men in this period. Born into a noble family with royal lineage, he chose a religious life of contemplation, and sought out remote, austere locations in which to establish his new monasteries.

The settlement on High Island was one of his earliest foundations, but he would go on to establish the much bigger monastery at Fore, in Country Westmeath. These Irish monks lived short, difficult lives as they struggled to eke out an existence in weather-beaten, challenging terrain.

Today, High Island still bears the marks of these dedicated medieval monks. According to The Guardian, it contains the remains of a number of beehive huts, similar to those on Skellig Michael, and a church, altar and graveyard.

Since the Middle Ages, the island has changed hands a number of times. In the 18th century, it was owned by a local family from Galway, who leased it to copper miners, according to The Guardian. The remains of the mine and the stone huts that housed workers may still be seen on the island.

However, in 1969 a poet named Richard Murphy from the neighboring island of Inishbofin bought the island, hoping to use it as a space for reflection, contemplation and inspiration for his work. He also wanted to restore the medieval monastic remains and prevent further destruction of its unique heritage.

However, the wild winds and rain that battered the island, especially in winter, began to take its toll on the poet, and over time he spent less and less time there.

At present, the island offers little shelter for visitors, aside from a small modern building. However, according to The Guardian, auctioneer Luke Spencer noted that this could potentially be extended into a comfortable dwelling, and the new property would enjoy unparalleled 360-degree views of the Atlantic.

Any prospective buyers will need to have their own transport, either by boat or helicopter, as the island is not easy to access. The nature here is wild and untamed, and High Island is a place of great beauty and historical significance.

Despite its harsh climate and exposure to the elements, it’s easy to see why those intrepid 7th century monks chose this place to make their retreat from the world.


A private island in Scotland for sale with 660 acres, ancient ruins and its very own ferry

The island of Inchmarnock in the Firth of Clyde. Credit: Strutt & Parker

The island of Inchmarnock is an incredibly rare opportunity to own a beautiful island in the Firth of Clyde with hundreds of years of history and a staggeringly beautiful location.

With some properties it’s hard to know where to start. And in the case of Inchmarnock — an island in the Firth of Clyde, just across the water from Rothesay and just 40 miles as the crow flies from Glasgow — you begin to wonder if the word ‘property’ is even adequate.

This beautiful island of 660 acres — which is for sale through Strutt & Parker with a £1.4m price tag — has been used by people for thousands of years. It’s been a Bronze Age settlement, a medieval monastery, a burial ground for the Scots who were slain 750 years ago at the Battle of Largs, a 17th century hermit’s retreat, a smugglers’ hideout and a D-Day training ground.

It’s been inhabited, abandoned, repopulated, farmed and very probably used as a centre of learning by early Christians. Before the current owners took it on in 1999, it had been uninhabited for a quarter of a century.

Today, it offers a huge range of possibilities for whoever decides to take the place on. Herds of prime Scottish cattle have been raised here in recent years, and that farming could easily continue — but there are also fabulous sporting and leisure opportunities on an island that has five miles of coastland, woodland and open country.

One thing the island doesn’t currently have is a home — but the purchase does include a fine, four-bedroom house across the water at Straad, on the west coast of Bute.

The house, currently used as a holiday home, has its own slipway for The Marnock, a ferry that was specially-built for transporting livestock and machinery to and from Inchmarnock.

The house is modern but very pleasant with open plan kitchen, dining room and sitting room, a large master bedroom, two more good-sized bedrooms and a box room.

It’s been used as a holiday home by the owners of Inchmarnock for many years and never rented out the views are utterly charming, looking out across this beautifully-unspoilt landscape of sea, sky and islands.

While the island itself has no home at the moment, there are a number of ruined buildings — some ancient, some more modern — which could, subject to the usual approvals and procedures, be turned into habitable accommodation again.

While it’d be wonderful to see the island repopulated, of course, but there are possibilities of all sorts forsuch a prime piece of land — the ruins in particular could become magical holiday homes, for example. It’s hard to imagine a prettier, safer or more secluded place for a family holiday.

Given that, and given the extraordinarily reasonable-sounding purchase price of £1.4m, it’s no surprise to hear that agents Strutt & Parker expect global interest in the place.

‘Inchmarnock is a stunning island rich in possibility,’ says Diane Fleming of Strutt & Parker’s Edinburgh office. ‘It’s stunning, with great heritage and is a peaceful and secluded haven, yet it is relatively accessible from Scotland’s central belt. We expect significant interest from national and international buyers.’

The Gart in Perthshire. Credit: Savills

Uninhabited Irish Island Complete with Ancient Ruins Is Up for Sale - History

Barbados is not located in the Caribbean sea but rather lies in the Atlantic Ocean, and being the nearest island to Afrika was strategically placed to become the trading hub for the Afrikan slaves as well as the first port of call for the slave ships from the non-Iberian European states.

Barbados, a former British colony, was known as the Caribbean's most "British" island and was nicknamed "Little England", since British culture was very noticeable throughout the island. Barbadians speak with a slight British accent, play the British sport of cricket, and embrace British conventions in their legal and political affairs.


However, Ichirouganaim which means "Big red island with sharp white teeth", was the name given to the island by its earliest inhabitants, the Native American nomads commonly known as Amerindians. They had inhabited the island from as far back as 1623 B.C. or 4000 years ago according to recent archaeological discoveries unearthed at a site at Port St. Charles.

The first migration of Native Americans known as the Saladoid-Barrancoid were made up of farmers, fishermen, and ceramists who arrived from Venezuela, South America, by crossing the Atlantic Ocean in dugout canoes, reaching Barbados around 350 C.E.


The second movement of Amerindians from South America were the Lokono or Arawak who arrived around 800 C.E. The Arawaks (Taino) were a short tribe of agriculturalists who grew cotton, cassava, guavas, corn, papaws, and peanuts. They also used harpoons, nets, and hooks to fish.

An arawak tribe, the first tribal people that Christopher Columbus would have encountered in the Caribbean.

The third wave of migrants also from South America were the Caribs (Kalingo) who were a taller and more violent Amerindian tribe than the Arawaks The Spanish called this tribe "Caribes" (Caribs) which means cannibals, the word from which the region derived its name Caribbean.

The Caribs were extremely accurate bowmen who used potent venom to paralyze their victims. They were a warlike tribe who were said to have barbecued their captives and washed them down with cassava beer.

Textbooks still continue to promote this legend of Carib cannibalism, but in fact human flesh was not actually eaten as food, but was used as a ritual practice to gain control over the dead enemies' or ancestors' qualities. This ritual was usually performed prior to a raiding mission or during an induction when it was decided that young men would take over the spirit of an illustrious warrior. The Arawaks were a peace-loving tribe who lived on one side of the island, whereas the warlike Caribs inhabited the other side.

By 1200 A.D. both the Arawak and the Salodoid-Barrancoid inhabitants were displaced by the warrior type Carib Indians, whose control lasted for about 300 years until that peaceful livelihood was abruptly brought to an end by the Spanish conquistadors in 1492, who claimed Barbudos for Spain. They began abducting and enslaving the Amerindian tribes from the Caribbean islands, forcing them to work on plantations in the region.

This is an early painting of the Taino and Arawak people shown with dark skin and kinky hair.



King Ferdinand of Spain identified Barbudos among a group of islands where all Caribs were ordered to be captured and enslaved because of their resistance to Christianity. The crown legalized war against the Caribs of Barbudos and the Lesser Antilles, making it legal for them to be captured, shipped to and enslaved in Hispaniola and Puerto Rico. Also, as per a royal decree issued in July, 1511, all Caribs introduced as slaves were to be branded with an “F” on either their legs or arms to identify them as the property of King Ferdinand.

King Ferdinand also released a decree in December 1511, for the abduction of Amerindian slaves from Barbados. The Igneri-Arawaks were the main tribe captured by Spanish slave raiding ships and consigned to Hispaniola where they were worked to death. In 1518, King Charles V of Spain wrote to Judge Rodrigo de Figueroa who was sent to Hispaniola with instructions that any Igneri-Arawaks taken from Barbados should be treated like the native Taino-Arawaks there. A Ruttiers publication announced in 1585 that the Dutch slave traders had captured the remaining Igneri-Arawaks found on Barbados to start the Guiana community.

The name Barbudos first appeared on ancient Spanish maps on December 23, 1511, where King Ferdinand of Spain referred to it as “Los Barbudos” (The bearded men).

In the Spanish language, the singular form "el barbado" means “the bearded man”, while the plural form "los barbados" mean “the bearded men”. Similarly, the variation "el barbudo" also means “the bearded man”, and "los barbudos" mean “the bearded men”, hence the name "Barbados or Barbudos".

The island got its Spanish name “Barbudos / Barbados” or “the bearded men” because of the earlier Afrikan explorers who were bearded men or their offspring through unions with the Amerindians.

  1. Enslavement,
  2. Famine,
  3. Previously unknown contagious diseases like small pox and tuberculosis introduced by the European,
  4. Being abducted by the Spanish and taken to larger islands like Hispaniola and Puerto Rico to work in gold mines and plantations as slave labourers.

From 1664 and onwards, Barbadians played an important role in the early development of the United States of America. Sir John Colleton, a Barbadian planter, asked Charles 2 nd of England to allocate land to him there, and he was given the section known as The Carolinas. Governor John Yeamans led a party of English colonists from Barbados to start the English colonies of the Carolinas in the U.S.A. Many left Barbados to settle the Carolinas, and most of the early governors were Barbadians. These British slave traders in the South of America operated out of Charles Town renamed Charleston, a city founded by them in South Carolina. They immediately started slave raids on the Westo and Stono tribes, engaging in the thriving business of selling enslaved Native Americans, who were forced to journey by foot from the remote regions where they were captured, to the waiting ships for exportation to Barbados, Antigua, and other ports in the Atlantic regions for sale, where they would spend the rest of their lives as slaves working for the European colonists. The captives were sold or traded in Barbados at great financial profit, with local whites taking the women as wives and concubines, while they traded the men for Afrikan slaves. Above were some of the Barbadians who settled the Carolinas.

The imprint left can still be seen today through the identical names of the parishes and streets, the single house style of abode which was based on early Barbadian designs, and the Gullah dialect which is a mixture of West Afrikan languages and old English that goes back to the days of slavery, which is also similar to the Barbadian (Bajan) dialect.

Around 1671, the Barbadian-English settlers of the Carolinas began enslaving the Kusso Tribe and exporting them for sale in Barbados, where their mixed race children were logged as "white" when they were baptised, eliminating any paper trail for any present day white Barbadian to track down his/her unknown Amerindian ancestry.

In the United States, the Igbo slaves were known for their rebellious nature, and were numerous in the Maryland and Virginia states, while in states like Georgia there was a high suicide rate among the Igbos.

Afrikans shipped to the United States represented almost 4% or about 388,000 of the total number of Afrikans transported to the New World. This was substantially lower than the number shipped to territories in the Caribbean (West Indies), which included over 1.2 million to Jamaica, and 4.8 million to Brazil. Of those Afrikans who arrived in the United States, nearly half came from the Senegambia region.

Captain Peter Wroth sailed from Barbados on his ship the Savoy for the Dutch Guiana coastline in South America in 1674 with a legal order from the Barbados English Governor Lord Willoughby and his successor Sir Peter Colleton, “to capture Arawak Indians for sale in Barbados”.
A year later, 160 Wampanoag Indians were captured in the U.S.A. and sent to Barbados to be sold and traded for Afrikan slaves. Among these 160 Wampanoags was a distinguished Chief Metacomet also known as King Philip (left), along with his wife Nanuskooke and their only son of 9 years, who were all sold into slavery in Barbados for one pound sterling each to a local English planter. In all, there were 900 Wampanoag Indians that were sold as slaves in Barbados. The Spanish Governor of Florida in 1682 recorded that “The English of South Carolina were capturing Native Florida Indians from the Spanish missions to be sold as slaves in the island of Barbados”. Early plantation deeds in Barbados confirm that Amerindian slaves with Spanish names were arriving in Barbados during that period.

In 1672, Tobago was captured from the Dutch by Barbadians under the command of Sir Tobias Bridges, and in 1689 a regiment of Barbadians under the command of Sir Timothy Thornhill was sent to assist the King’s troops against the French in the Leeward Islands, which proved to be notably victorious.

In 1691, the first law relating solely to slavery was passed, and remained in operation for about 20 years. The Assembly passed an all-inclusive law for slaves, and the majority of the terminology was adopted from the Barbados Slave Code of 1688. The South Carolina code described any Negro, Mulatto or Indian who had been bought or sold was to be labelled a slave, and this classification was also to be extended to the offspring of these slaves.

A statement printed in 1707 by Governor John Archdale in London, reported that Yammasee Indians who were under English Governance in the American Colonies were being “kidnapped by Spanish raiders who sold them as slaves to Barbados as was usual”. During 1708 Native Americans of the Ute Tribe from distant Illinois were being seized and transported to Barbados for sale by the English settlers of the Carolinas.

In 1739, the Barbados Parliament authorized legislation that allowed slaves to give evidence against the three categories of non-white people living in Barbados, freed Negroes, Amerindians, and Mulattos - who were accepted as mixtures of white and Negro, white and Amerindian or Negro and Amerindian.

  1. The right to own property
  2. The right to give evidence in all court cases and
  3. A reduction in the rates charged to prevent white slaveholders from freeing their slaves.

During the days of slavery and immediate post emancipation, the more entrepreneurial people established small shops where rum, other spirits and a variety of goods were sold. These shops also functioned as a meeting place for discussions and playing games, which helped to strengthen the community spirit.

A popular game brought to Barbados with Afrikan roots was Warri, also known as Oware and Ampe, which originated in the West Afrikan countries like Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Benin, and other similar Afrikan locations.
Coucou which is Fufu, originated in West Afrika and is the local Barbadian dish.
Kwaku Ananse folk stories were also brought to and told in Barbados, other parts of the Caribbean, and in the Americas during Slave Trade era.

During the 1930s, a movement for political rights was initiated by the descendants of emancipated slaves. One of the leaders of this movement was Sir Grantley Adams who, in 1938, founded The Barbados Progressive League, now . By 1944 civil rights were given to women, and in 1951 the right to vote by all adults was allowed. On November 30 th 1966, Barbados gained its independence from Britain under the leadership of the late .


Barbadian (Bajan) culture and music evolved from the fusion of Afrikan, European and Caribbean components. The earliest mention of Afrikan-Barbadian music came from a description of a slave revolt where the rebels were inspired by the music played on skin drums, conch trumpets and animal horns to engage in battle. As a result, the English colonist and slave owning authorities banned musical instruments among slaves, because they suspected that their drumming skills could be used to send secret messages to organize and launch rebellions against them. Therefore, in 1688 a law was passed that outlawed the playing of drums and other "heathenous noises" on the plantation or in the town. Death was one of the penalties, but the slaves got around this law to some extent by adjusting their Afrikan derived rhythms to sound more European.

Early Barbadian folk music among the slaves was "essential for recreation and dancing and as a part of the life cycle for communication and religious meaning". Afrikan musicians also provided the music for the white landowners' private parties, while developing their own brand of party music. This resulted in the world renowned Crop Over Festival which started around 1688. Early Crop Over festivals featured dancing and call-and-response singing accompanied by shak-shak, banjo, bones and bottles which contained varying amounts of water to produce different notes. By the end of the 17 th century, a distinctly Barbadian folk culture had emerged.

Barbadian traditional folk songs narrated current events at the time they were written, such as the emancipation of the Barbadian slaves, or the coronations of Victoria, George the 5 th , and Elizabeth the 2 nd . This singing tradition dates back to 1650. Some Barbadian songs and stories such as the famous "Inckle the English Sailor" and "Yarico the Indian Maid" made their way back to England and became English plays and an opera by George Coleman, with music by Samuel Arnold. They were first performed in London in 1787.


Tuk bands are Barbadian musical groups that consist of a double-headed bass drum, kettle drum, bow-fiddle or penny whistle, a tin flute, a kittle triangle and a snare, which all combine to create a distinct Barbadian fusion of Afrikan and Bajan rhythms. The kittle and bass drum provide the rhythm, while the flute provides the melody. The drums are made from cured sheep and goat skins, making them light in weight and easy to carry around. Tuk bands usually performed at special occasions such as visiting royalty and coronations, and are generally accompanied by a range of symbolic characters such as "Shaggy Bears", "The Green Mother Sally" which represents female fertility, "The Steel Donkey", "Green Monkeys", "The Stilt-men" which represent surviving hard times, and other traditions which are symbolic of the ceremonial healers from Afrikan villages. Masquerades are of Igbo origin, and the costumes are of West Afrikan origin. Similarly structured bands can still be seen today in Ghana and Nigeria.


Spouge, a fusion of Jamaican Ska and Banja, was once the popular Barbadian form of music which was created by the late Jackie Opel (left) in the 1960s. Banja was a term used prior to the 1930s when Bajan calypso was called Banja. Spouge instrumentation consisted originally of a cowbell, bass guitar, trap set and various other electronic and percussion instruments, later boosted by the saxophone, trombone and trumpets.

The cowbell and the rhythm guitar are generally considered to be the most essential part of the instrumentation that reflected the Afrikan origin of this indigenous musical creation.


During the 1960s, two different types of Spouge rhythms were popular: Raw Spouge popularised by The Draytons Two, (left) and Dragon Spouge popularised by Barbadian Cassius Clay (right). The Spouge industry grew considerably by the end of the 1970s before suddenly vanishing from the local music scene. There was a renewal of interest in Spouge music in some quarters in recent years, with artistes like Desmond Weekes of The Draytons Two suggesting that Spouge should be encouraged because of its national format and potential to awaken the pride of the nation, not to mention its ability to reach worldwide audiences.


Obeah was practiced in Barbados and other Caribbean nations. In some cases, the Christian religion embraced strong elements of Obeah as part of the faith.

The Spiritual Baptist Church for example, consists of an Afrikan-Caribbean integrated religion that blends elements of traditional West Afrikan religion with Christianity. However, despite the heavy Afrikan influences and ritual practices, Spiritual Baptists look upon themselves solely as Christians.
Obeah, sometimes written Obi, is an expression used in the Caribbean when referring to folk magic, sorcery or religious practices that originated in Central and West Afrika from the beliefs of the Yoruba tribe, like Voodoo, Santeria and the Orisha belief systems. The West Afrikan Ashanti used the term Obi or Obeah to describe the practices of the slaves of Central Afrikan lineage. The practitioners of the Congo form of folk religion were called Obeah men or sorcerers. An Obeah man is also called a medicine man, root doctor, sorcerer, or voodoo witch-doctor. Obeah is therefore associated with black and white magic, charms, fetishes, luck and mysticism in general, which is similar in nature to Voodoo, Santeria, Rootwork/ Hoodoo, and Palo.

Obeah is characterized by the use of magic rituals for protection against bad luck or to cause harm, and is a practice which uses the power of duppies (spirits) to manipulate human events. Spiritualism or contact with the dead is a basic component of many Afrikan religions. Obeah may also refer to any solid object such as a talisman or charm that can be used for evil magical purposes. In spite of its negative reputation however, Obeah, like any other form of folk religion, folk medicine and folk magic, contains many rituals for healing, attracting money, bringing about luck in love, controlling wandering partners, and even eliminating the difficult problems of life.

The Afrikan slaves used these supernatural rituals brought with them from their various Afrikan homelands as a means of protecting themselves against the domination of the white enslavers.

Conflicts arose when slaves from different regions of Afrika who practiced diverse styles of Afrikan religion and spoke different languages came into contact with each other, but out of this interaction the common term Obeah was popularised.

A number of Afrikan languages contain words that have contributed to the term Obeah.

The Igbo word Obia means doctoring, mysticism, or oracle. Another Igbo word díbìà means folk healer.

The Efik word ubio means bad omen any harmful object or a charm buried in the ground to cause sickness or death.

The Twi word obayi means magic or sorcery. The Twi word obayi means magic or sorcery.

The Ashanti word obayifo means a wizard or witch. Another Ashanti word Obi means sorcery, and also refers to the West Afrikan snake god, spirit of evil, which involves animal sacrifices.

The Egyptian word Obion (Ob) or Aub means serpent. Oph is a winged serpent or dragon and Ab means wisdom. They signify Serpent of Wisdom or Serpent of Knowledge when combined.

Obeah can therefore be defined as a source of occult power: a strong medium used to give power to induce spells for practical magic, witchcraft and other forms to predict the future to communicate with the gods or to gain support or knowledge from planes beyond the physical realm. These actions are accomplished through the skills of the Obeah practitioner and go beyond the tenets of traditional witchcraft, sorcery, shamanism, voodoo or tribal magic.

In the domain of the occult practitioners where mystics, tribal elders, shamans, wizards, sorcerers, spell-casters, diviners, necromancers, witches and other sources of occult power operate in other dimensions, the most powerful, the most dreaded, the most feared is Obeah.

Obeah today is blended with the worship of Orisha, which are spirits of nature and powerful ancestors who are prayed to and sometimes allowed to take possession of the practitioners.

The first image shows a Barbados Penny which was minted during the reign of King George III in 1788. The second image shows another Barbados Penny issued in Barbados around 1792 with King George III of England on one side, and Neptune riding a horse and chariot on the other side. Note the spellings of Barbados.


A Private Island With Ancient Ruins Just Hit the Market in Ireland

You don't have to go someplace tropical to buy a luxurious, secluded island. High Island, or Ardoileán in Irish, is located two miles off the west coast of Ireland, and it's currently for sale for $1.4 million, CNN Travel reports.

Eighty acres and 206 feet above sea level, the island is filled with natural beauty. It's home to wild birds like gulls, petrels, and peregrine falcons as well as freshwater lakes. High Island also has a rich human history around the 7th century, monks built a monastery there, and the ruins still stand today. Some experts think the first human residents arrived much earlier, with pollen evidence indicating the appearance of settlements around 3000 years ago.

The property, which is being sold by a private owner through Spencer Auctioneers, does come with a few caveats. The island's run-down cottage isn't equipped with electricity or running water. There is a 970-square-foot building with a septic tank next to the cottage, but it's owned by the state. The Irish government also owns the monastery ruins on the island, including the church, beehive huts, altar, and graves. Plus, to get to the island, the new buyer will need to take a boat or helicopter.

Even for someone interested in a fixer-upper, renovating High Island will be a challenge. Any renovations or new construction projects there must receive planning permission—but according to Spencer Auctioneers, the fact that the island already has a septic tank means that new buildings will likely get approved.

A $1.4 million price tag is cheap compared to some private islands that have hit the market recently. Last year, a Caribbean island and former James Bond filming location went up for sale for $85 million.


Tarpon Belly Key

Campsite on Tarpon Belly Key. Photo/Scott Hannon

In the &lsquo60s, a man had a dream of growing shrimp in paradise.

He dug two canals on the Tarpon Belly Keys, and tried his best for a few years. His shrimp legacy never made if far, but the rubble he left behind has made Tarpon Belly a legendary hangout ever since.

Remnants of the operation, including an old truck, are found tucked away around the island.

Though the island is still privately owned, locals often come here to picnic, snorkel, and even camp overnight.

The islands are a few miles north of Cudjoe, and the closest marinas are Cudjoe Gardens and Sugarloaf.

Satellite view of Tarpon Belly Key&rsquos shrimp canals.

This article first appeared in Florida Traveler.

This guest post was written by Karuna Eberl and Steve Alberts, who live on Cudjoe Key in the Lower Keys, and bring a local&rsquos perspective to their entertaining book &ldquoKey West & the Lower Keys Travel Guide.&rdquo (It&rsquos a terrific book for anyone who loves the Keys, as Karuna and Steve clearly do.)

Other articles written for FloridaRambler.com by Karuna Eberl and Steve Alberts

Get ready for Prime Day by signing up now

From the Editor:

The information in this article was accurate when published but can change without notice. Please confirm rates and details when planning your trip by following the links in this article.

This article is the property of FloridaRambler.com and is protected by U.S. and International Copyright Laws. All rights are reserved. Re-publication of this article without written permission is illegal.

Comments Welcome Cancel reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.


Neglected Abandoned French Chateau For Sale

This grand mansion home can be found where the roads of Berrote and Oron meet, in the commune of Arette, the department of the Pyrénées-Atlantiques, the region of Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France.

The pool and grounds of the Chateau

Laden with dust, this beautiful chateau has seen better days. It began on the hillsides of the small village of Arette in 1852. The Pyrénées mountains set just in the distant with rolling farm land on all sides. Whether squatters have tried to live here or owners is unclear as the thick layer of dust coating most everything say otherwise.

Wooden stairs and a wooden coat rack

The wooden floor boards in the living / salon drawing room are missing. Busted through and missing in some spots entirely. The ceilings in several rooms show massive cracks, the walls near the baseboards do as well. There is an in-ground swimming pool as well, that would need much in the way of repairs. A two storey barn is on the property.

Billard room and stone floors

The house comes complete with all furniture inside, sold as is for a price of €246,100 ($274,036 USD). Dubbed as a holiday home with tons of business ventures and opportunities.

Dust laden furniture and floors that have not been swept

It lies just moments from splendid travel locations including : La-Pierre-St-Martin for skiing, the commune of Oloron-Sainte-Marie (the Beret capital of the world), the beach of Biarritz and the Spanish town San-Sebastian.

Antique furniture through-out

The home itself measures at 400 meters squared. Upon entering the main floor from the double French entry doors there is a great hall, a billiard room, the kitchen, a small storage, sitting and dining rooms.

The master bedroom with vacuumed carpets

Almost every room boasts a fireplace, although some have been covered and blocked. There are 7 bedrooms through out the multilevel house, with 4 additional dressing rooms that could be small bedrooms as well. The attic lays unfinished but could be transformed into additional housing.

Wooden floors that are decaying

Bottles of Grand Macnish Scotch Whiskey line on a shelf in the Billard Room. Paintings of dogs, ballerinas, horses, landscapes, flowers and people line the walls of almost every room.

Lime green walls with gold trimmings

Ornate detailing around the ceilings and circling the chandeliers speak of a luxurious past. Marble topped furniture, some broken and chairs fill empty rooms. Every room having large and latching windows. A grandiose, lovely home filled with mystery.

Drawing room filled with small art and chairs

This home is set on 1 acre of serene land. Do not miss out on your choice to own or visit such a glorious home that has a history. Too beautiful to fall apart into utter decay, forever. Check out the listing here.

The exterior of the glorious chateau of Arette

Where is the gorgeously abandoned chateau for sale in France located? You can find it with these coordinates. 43.104907, -0.738138.

Aerial where the road Berrote and Oron meet

14 thoughts on &ldquo Neglected Abandoned French Chateau For Sale &rdquo

I would like to obtain more info on the above French Castle , the price legal matters , outstanding taxes etc . Ill appreciate if the info can be forward to Me , at your earliest convenience


Tips on visiting these famous Ancient Ireland sites

Archaeological location, monastic and ancient pagan sites in Ireland are important for appreciating and learning about history, but they cannot continue to exist without proper respect from visitors.

You can respect Ireland&rsquos ancient sites by:

  • Leaving artifacts as they are
  • Taking care not to damage surfaces
  • Keeping your children close and safe
  • Using only toilets that are provided
  • Staying on designated sites, roads and marked spaces.
  • And never leaving any trash.

There are a variety of ways to visit these ancient sites. You can choose to go on an arranged tour that you can book beforehand that will take you to a particular site or a group of sites. Or, you can make arrangements to visit these sites on your own, with the help of transportation where needed. For example, you must arrange a boat tour to visit Skellig Michael.

Before attempting to visit any of these sites, it&rsquos important for you to check the weather. Many ancient sites will not be open to the public if the weather is unfavorable and they may be temporarily closed.

Other things to keep in mind is wearing the proper clothing to keep you comfortable for the heat or for the cold. If rain is in the forecast, ensure that you wear clothing to protect you from the rain. It is also important to wear the right shoes. Hiking shoes, for example, are a good choice, especially for steep, rugged hills.

Most ancient sites are now equipped with bathrooms and visitor centers, but some, such as Skellig Michael, are not. There are admission fees for some of the sites, while some of the other sites allow you to visit for free.


TwistedSifter

Situated between the Bronx and Riker’s Island is a small parcel of land in the East River known as North Brother Island. The island is small, measuring approximately 400 meters x 250 meters. Together with its smaller counterpart South Brother Island, the two have a land area of about 20 acres (81,400 square meters). You can see the island on Google Maps here (and above).

North Brother was uninhabited until 1885, when Riverside Hospital moved there from Roosevelt Island. According to Wikipedia:

“Riverside Hospital was founded in the 1850s as the Smallpox Hospital to treat and isolate victims of that disease. Its mission eventually expanded to other quarantinable diseases. Typhoid Mary (the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier) was confined to the island for over two decades until she died there in 1938.

The hospital closed shortly thereafter. After World War II, the island housed war veterans who were students at local colleges, along with their families. After the nationwide housing shortage abated, the island was once again abandoned.

In the 1950s a center opened to treat adolescent drug addicts. The facility claimed to be the first to offer treatment, rehabilitation, and education facilities to young drug offenders. Heroin addicts were confined to this island and locked in a room until they were clean. By the early 1960s widespread staff corruption and patient recidivism forced the facility to close.

Now a bird sanctuary, the island is currently abandoned and off-limits to the public. Most of the original hospitals’ buildings still stand, but are heavily deteriorated and in danger of collapse. A dense forest conceals the ruined hospital buildings, and from the 1980s through the early 2000s it supported one of the area’s largest nesting colonies of Black-crowned Night Heron. However as of 2011 this species has abandoned the island for unknown reasons. [Source]

Four months ago, Reddit user Victav posted an incredible 41-picture gallery to Imgur. The album has been viewed over 230,000 times to date.

Victav says he and a friend kayaked to the island and spent three hours exploring and documenting North Brother. For any would-be urban explorers, Victav warns that due to the island’s proximity to the city, airport, power plant, water treatment facility and prison (Riker’s), it is strongly monitored by both the NYPD and coast guard. So if you want to visit, you must be very sneaky.


Watch the video: ΝΗΣΟΣ Του ΠΑΣΧΑ: Το ΝΗΣΙ Των ΜΥΣΤΗΡΙΩΝ Και Της ΑΛΑΖΟΝΕΙΑΣ Επιστήμη (February 2023).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos